Exact Dates TBD. This program departs in May after spring graduation.
Take advantage of round-the-clock daylight during the summer in this otherworldly place of dramatic beauty. Revel in the geothermal wonders of Iceland—Blue Lagoon hot springs, volcanic craters and subarctic fauna. From the capital Reykjavik you will travel the popular Golden Circle and see Gullfoss waterfall and the Geysir geothermal area. From there, continue to the famous black-sand beaches of Vik and the Lava Centre in Hvolsvöllur.
Students interested in the Discover Iceland adventure can register for the class (IS200 with Dr. Holcomb) any time after registration begins in March 2023. Students are advised to register early as popular trips fill up quickly.
Group Leader: Dr. Brian Holcomb
Day 1: Fly overnight to Iceland
Meet your group and board your flight to Iceland!
Day 2: Reykjavik
Arrive in Reykjavik
Meet your Tour Director at the airport Take a tour of Reykjavfk to discover how this revolutionary city harnesses geothermal waste to stretch natural resources even further Visit the National Museum and soak up a fascinating collection of exhibitions and permanent displays as you gain insight into Iceland's rugged past, medieval days, and contemporary culture
Day 3: Reykjavik • Hvolsvollur area
Thingvellir National Park
- Take an excursion to Thingvellir National Park, home to Thingvallavatn, the largest lake in Iceland.
- Visit the Gullfoss, or "Golden" waterfall, so named because of its golden color on sunny days.
- Visit the Geysir geothermal area, which hurls boiling water more than 200 feet into the air.
- Visit a greenhouse powered by geothermal and hydroelectric energy.
- Visit Icelandic horse stables that house a breed that exists only in Iceland known for their fifth gate, called the tolt.
Day 4: Hvolsvollur area
Full-day excursion in the Hvolsvollur area
- Visit the Seljalandsfoss and Skogarfoss waterfalls, two of south Iceland's most famous natural wonders.
- Visit the Village of Vik, where you'll see black sand beaches, puffin colonies, and the Reynisdrangar rocks.
- Visit the Skogarfoss Folk Museum to glimpse ancient tools and artifacts dating back to Viking time.
- Buckle up your crampons and take the coolest walk of your life--literally-- on Solheimajokull Glacier.
Day 6: Reykjavik
Take an excursion to Alftanes peninsula
- See Bessastaoir, the official residence of the president.
- Visit Hafnarfjorour and Lake Kleifarvatn.
- See geothermal activity in Krfsuvfk geothermal field.
- Visit the Blue Lagoon for a swim in its mineral-rich waters, recognized by National Geographic as a natural wonder.
Day 7: West Iceland & Langjokull Glacier
Travel to Husafell this morning, stopping en route to admire West Iceland's dramatically varied landscapes
- Marvel at Deildartunguhver, Europe's most powerful hot spring.
- Admire Hraunfossar, clear falls that stream over a lava field, and see the nearby cascades of Barnafoss.
- Visit Reykholt, a historic village that was home to medieval writer and chieftain Snorri Sturluson.
- Drive in a specially modified snow truck on the Langjokull Glacier, Iceland's second largest, and walk through the glacier's interior ice tunnels.
Day 9: Depart for home
Your Tour Director assists with your transfer to the airport, where you'll check in for your return flight home.